Pickens Middle School from Past to Present
Pickens Junior High School was established in 1962. Located in the former high school building, the student body consisted of two grades: seven and eight. The school was housed there until the second semester of 1968, at which time the second building on Sparks Lane was occupied. In the fall of 1968 ninth grade was added, and 1969 saw the addition of a new gymnasium.
The science wing and additional classrooms, media center, and art room were added in 1987. The summer of 1999 saw the installation of a new HVAC system in the older (1969) portion of our facility, replacing antiquated window units. New tile was installed in all hallways, the media center, and several classrooms. New vinyl-clad windows replaced the leak-prone metal ones in the older portion of the building.
In 1994, Pickens Junior High converted to a middle school of grades six, seven, and eight and remained on the Sparks Lane campus until a district-wide building was complete. In August 2013, Pickens Middle moved into the renovated Pickens High School on Blue Flame Drive (now Torch Lane) in downtown Pickens. The move to the new school involved the addition of 50,000 square-feet (150,000 square-feet total) and updates to the facility included improved student drop-off and pick-up access, designated bus drop-off, a new wireless data system throughout the building, 1500-seat gym arena, 350-seat cafeteria, and wide hallways throughout the building.